Crew 568 Information Page
Crew 568 is open to male and female youth, ages 14-21.
There is no charge for joining, and for most shooting activities.
Outings typically have a nominal charge to cover expenses. Members
are expected to acquire a Venturing uniform shirt. The cost is
typically about $50.00. There are frequently shirts available for
long term "borrowing", with the agreement that they are returned
when you are done using them.
Affiliation with BSA
Crew 568 is a Venture Crew, and is affiliated with the Boy Scouts of
America (BSA). The crew is chartered by the Pajaro Valley Rod and
Gun Club (PVRG). PVRG pays the crew's membership fees with the BSA.
The crew uses the BSA safety rules, known as the Guide to Safe
Scouting. To shoot pistols, BSA and PVRG requires that youth take
and pass the NRA Basic Pistol course. To shoot rifles, PVRG requires
that youth take and pass the NRA Basic Rifle course. The crew has
several instructors for these courses, and offers them at the
regular meeting time. Note, both courses practice shooting under an
instructor's supervision as part of the course. BSA also requires
all shooting to be supervised by both an NRA certified Range Safety
Officer, and an NRA certified Instructor. Additional adults (over
21) may also assist with safety monitoring.
A safe attitude is a requirement. All are expected to behave
responsibly in the presence of firearms. Anyone who cannot do this
will be asked to leave. Consumption of alcohol or other drugs that
may influence safety is strictly prohibited.
Crew 568 meets on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month, at Pajaro
Valley Rod and Gun Club's range. We start at 6:30. Typical plan is
the 2nd Wednesday is handguns, the 4th Wednesday is rifles.At
- 6:30-6:40: Start arriving, get out any gear needed.
- 6:40-7:00: First shooting activity. For those doing a class,
- 7:00: Cease Fire, for opening. Pledge of Allegiance
- 7:05-8:00: Main shooting activity
- 8:00: Cease Fire.
- 8:00-8:15: Picking up brass, put away any gear or guns that
are out. For those who were doing a class, conclude class, put
away class gear.
- 8:15-8:30: Stand around and review, discuss next meeting, and
next outings. Sometimes a story. Sometimes "show and tell".
Crew 568 typically has about 8 outings per year. We try to have one
Super Activity each year. Most outings are not overnight, but
instead will meet somewhere locally, drive to a range, shoot during
the day, have lunch or a snack, and drive home. Some recent outings
- Los Altos Rod and Gun Club - Rifle, Pistol, and Trap.
- Field Sports Park in South San Jose - Rifle, Pistol, Trap or
- Coyote Clays in Morgan Hill - Sporting Clays (Golf with a
shotgun), or Trap, or Skeet
- Panoche Hills (BLM land) South of Holllister - Long distance
rifle, pistol, rapid-fire, tin-cans. Also Tumey Hills.
Frequently with a Boy Scout Troop from Hollister, Aromas, or
- Gun shows in San Jose or San Francisco
- Markley's indoor range in Watsonville
- Mountain Man Rendezvous at Camp Pico Blanco near Big Sur
- Super Activities
- Front Sight in Pahrump Nevada (near Las Vegas) - 4-day
Defensive Handgun course.
- Appleseed shoot in San Luis Obispo or Castro Valley - 2 day
rifle shooting class
"Show and Tell", Bringing your own firearms
"Show and Tell" is encouraged. This is frequently for the review
portion of the meeting. Youth (and adults) can bring their own
firearms to meeting and outings.There are several requirements
- Legally transport any firearms. If you do not KNOW how to do
transport legally, please ask BEFORE attempting it. Going to
jail isn't a good way to spend the meeting time. California has
very strict rules, and there is huge discretion given to
prosecute minor accidental transgressions. Different guns
have different rules, and different ages of the transporter also
matter. The type of vehicle you drive could even make a
- Do not plan to shoot a firearm of unknown condition, such as
the rusty rifle that was stored in Grandpa's shed for 30 years.
Firearms in good condition may be used. Firearms in unknown
condition are good for "show and tell". If there's any question,
it's good to discuss it.
- Plan to bring ammo to shoot your firearm, unless you have made